Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Zucchini Bread


Four to five years back, i haven't even heard of this vegetable, zucchini.
One day, at work, one of my colleague brought this delicious cake and said its zucchini bread.
A yummy cake using a vegetable..I was all excited about the idea :)
I ate a piece and fell in love with it, though I had know idea what zucchini was or how it looked like.
Anyway, during my next trip to the grocery store,i went straight to the produce section looking for this mystery vegetable, and grabbed a couple of them.



Since then every summer, I make this delightful bread a number of times.
One of everybody's fav evening snack. (Can also be a breakfast too)
Easy to bake, calls for vegetable oil instead of butter, lots of veggie, all in all a win-win.
Even today, there are lots of veggies in the produce aisle I haven't given a try. I guess, I have to think outside the box (I mean, outside my limited staple vegetable choices)
I use zucchini in stir-fries too. It tastes so good.


Here is the recipe, adapted from allrecipes.com

You'll need:
Recipe makes 1 loaf

All purpose flour: 1 1/2 cups
Sugar: 1 cup
Eggs: 2 nos
Vegetable Oil: 1/2 cup
Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
Baking powder: 1/2 tsp
Zucchini: 1 cup (grated)
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract: 1 1/2 tsp
Ground cinnamon: 1 1/2 tsp
Chopped walnut: 1/2 cup




How to make:

Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
Grease and flour a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
Sift together flour, salt,cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add the sugar, oil and the vanilla extract.
Mix in the sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat well.
Stir in the grated zucchini and chopped nuts and mix well until combined.
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 40-50 min, or until the tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool the pan on a rack for a few mins.
Enjoy the cake or the bread, what ever you call it...i guarantee,  its gonna taste good :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.